Do you know that Penn State is now considered one of the top institutions – if not the top institution – in the nation to study the Civil War era? Are you aware that the Richards Center spearheaded the creation of a brand new journal devoted to cutting edge scholarship on the Civil War era? The Center could not have achieved this success without the help of our members.
To express our appreciation we are expanding our membership opportunities. When you become a member of the Richards Civil War Era Center, you also automatically join the Society of Civil War Historians, the preeminent association of scholars dedicated to exploring the Civil War era! That’s two memberships for the price of one!
Your membership entitles you to:
- a subscription to the quarterly, The Journal of the Civil War Era
- the Richards Civil War Era Center annual newsletter
- personal invitations to conferences and workshops hosted by the Richards Center
- a selection of signed copies of books from the Richards Center’s list of affiliated faculty (depending on your membership level) and
- the benefit of helping Penn State be a leader in Civil War research and teaching.
The Society of Civil War Historians benefits include:
- free admittance to the Society of Civil War Historians annual dinner, which features the presentation of the Tom Watson Brown Book Award for best book published on the era in a calendar year and
- a discount on the conference registration fee for the Society of Civil War Historians biennial conference
Members’ contributions allow us to offer conferences that enrich the understanding of the Civil War era, sponsor undergraduate internships at Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry, subsidize the publication of articles, and advance research that brings fresh insights to the past.
To join by check: Please make check payable to The Pennsylvania State University and submit with completed membership application form.
To join by credit card: Purchase membership online
- Regular members ($100) receive a membership in the Society of Civil War Historians, subscription to the quarterly journal The Journal of the Civil War Era, the Center’s annual newsletter, and invitations to Center workshops and conferences.
- Contributing members ($250) receive Regular membership benefits, plus an official Richards Center baseball cap embossed with the Richards Center logo.
- Supporting members ($500) receive Contributing membership benefits, plus an autographed copy of a Center faculty book of their choice.
- Sustaining members ($750) receive Contributing membership benefits, and are entitled to two autographed books from Center faculty.
- Founding members ($1,000) are entitled to copies of all Center books published during the membership year and special invitations to Richards Center receptions.
Donors interested in becoming Keystone members at the $5,000 level or above are invited to contact the Richards Civil War Era Center’s director, Dr. Rachel Shelden, to discuss their gift. Inquiries may be made by telephone (814-863-0151), fax (814-863-6825), or in writing to the Richards Center.